Or come in person to fill out an application. 2526 Western Ave, West Orange.
LABOR/OPERATOR (WATER & WASTEWATER) POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Water\Wastewater operator will be responsible for various activities in support of water treatment, wastewater treatment, and overall health of the water and wastewater systems. The W\WW operator will perform manual labor and learn to perform semi-skilled work in the maintenance, operation, repair, and construction of the treatment plants; along with the distribution and collection systems. Duties are performed under the direct supervision of a field supervisor.
Duties for Water and Wastewater Systems:
• Works on water crew learning to perform manual labor in installing, repairing, and maintaining water lines, valves, meters, pumps and water taps.
• Works on sewer crew learning to perform manual labor in installing, repairing, and maintaining sewer lines, force mains, lift stations and manholes.
• Provides manual labor to clean drying beds.
• Ability to perform basic math calculations.
• Ability to monitor flows and tank levels within the systems.
• Digs holes and ditches with a shovel and other hand tools.
• Cleans and maintains tools, sampling equipment, and lab equipment.
• Responsible for keeping the site and grounds at plants clean and neat.
• Performs daily equipment checks.
• Picks up necessary supplies and tools from the warehouse or vendors as directed.
• Responds to emergency calls at all hours when on call.
• Performs work in accordance with departmental safety procedures and safely operates equipment.
• Learn and follow state-mandated regulations concerning water and wastewater treatment.
• Performs other related and non-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Have State license(s) and/or have at least one year of experience in the water/wastewater field. Have a GED or high school diploma. Need to possess at least a valid “Class C” Texas driver’s license, comply with a drug screen at any time and without notice, and willingness to take a pre-employment physical examination certifying ability to perform the essential job functions. Have knowledge of basic construction and maintenance techniques and practices concerning water and wastewater operations. Show ability to follow oral instructions promptly and accurately, to work in disagreeable conditions, to perform strenuous physical labor, to work as an effective team member, to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships, and to complete projects in a timely manner. Show willingness or ability to operate a backhoe, loader, or related material handling equipment.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Work is performed primarily in an outside environment or in plant/shop areas. The employee is frequently required to lift and carry objects, such as materials or equipment weighing up to 10 to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift 50 to 75 pounds, for short distances. Some driving will be necessary in various weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud. While working in the field, the employee may walk on uneven or un-level ground surfaces such as hills, slopes, ditches, or trenches. The position will require the ability to work overtime and weekends as needed.